How to support your partner in a severe personal mental crisis.
The stigma and shame associated with mental illness have a negative impact on family members, making it difficult to find support when someone you care about is suffering from a mental illness. Time, resources, and energy are frequently focused on the loved one´s mental health needs, leaving family members wondering how to maintain a loving relationship.
Here are six ways to love someone with a mental illness without hurting yourself
1. Keep an eye on your own health. You will be of little use if you are exhausted, so always eat well and get enough sleep. Remember, if something bothers you, seek medical attention and try to avoid alcohol, drugs, and smoking, which are all bad for your health.
2. Don´t isolate yourself. Try to find support for yourself; you can call a helpline or talk to people who understand your problems; this can reduce stress and ease feelings of isolation.
3. Maintain your daily routine when your loved one becomes depressed so that you do not lose control. Furthermore, try to stay focused and not let illness, mood swings, and the overall unpredictability of the situation disrupt your sense of stability.
4. Don´t abandon your interests. Don´t give up hobbies or other activities that you´ve always enjoyed for the same reason. To be available to a loved one, you must feed your soul. As a result, if you continue to do nice things for yourself through deeds, you will have more energy to devote to your relationship.
5. Be a dependable member of your family. Your loved one requires someone they can talk to and trust. It is best to reassure the individual that his illness does not define him. As a safe person, you do what is necessary to protect yourself and your loved ones. You can assist your family in developing an emergency plan. You can do this by downloading the application Minplan which can be found here.
6. Most importantly, keep in mind that life goes on! Even if your loved one is experiencing a severe personal mental crisis, remember that you are a separate person with the right to live your own life. Finally, take classes that will help you grow, find a hobby, and make new friends. Don´t lose sight of your life.